Sunday, July 24, 2011

Any possible help with post-secondary schooling in Japan


Any possible help with post-secondary schooling in Japan?
Hehe, I know it's a little cliche, and I know the possibility of anyone successfully helping me goes down since they don't know me, but I am not in high school yet, so I don't have access to a guidance counselor or similar. I dream of going to Japan, and I'm currently studying the language. My biggest dream is to go there for college or university, but I don't have much info to help me with this. I know going to a Japanese school would be hard, since even if I were to study the language for the four years I have until it's time, the classes would be hard to understand, right? What are some good options, some good schools for a foreign student like myself? And if it is in anyone's knowledge, would a career as something like a psychologist be valuable there? What are things I should look into, some websites that are easy for me to understand, or some preparations I should make? Any help is appreciated!
Studying Abroad - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I would suggest going to a university in your home country that has an option to do a year abroad. If you go through them, you would have some support in adjusting and could continue your Japanese lessons to an advanced level before you go. Temple University has a Japanese campus, so you might want to look into that. If you apply directly to a Japanese university, I think you need level 2 on the JLPT which isn't impossible to do in four years but even then it's not easy. And then you still don't have the same academic background as the other students. If you go to a university in your home country you can still major in Japanese. If you want to work in Japan after university, that's an entirely different question. Going to school there will not get you a job there, especially without specialized skills or an advanced degree. Most people who go after college teach English, which is great to do for a year but not for life. It would probably be hard to be a psychologist in Japan because Japanese people may not believe you really understand their situation and there may be special requirements. For now, I would say just focus on learning the language and doing well in school.
Read more discussion :