Saturday, December 8, 2012

A question about studying in Japan


A question about studying in Japan?
I live in England, but would like to attend a high school in Japan for 3-6 months next year... I would like to experience Japanese culture, and see the country for myself, so I would like to attend a Japanese school, not an English school in Japan... I'm learning the language. I'll be 16 at the time, and would either require a host family, or be accompanied by my 23 year old brother, and stay in temporary accommodation... My only problem is that after 3 months of research and asking around, I can't find a high school suitable anywhere. I contacted one school a few months back, but have recieved no reply. I emailed them twice. Does anyone go to a school in Japan, know anyone who does, etc? I'd very much appreciate any help anyone can give me! Thank you. x
Japan - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Trying to find a high school to attend for several months (only) individually would be extremely difficult. I would recommend you to join a foreign exchange student program. I am not sure what kind of program are held, but if you google it with words like "foreign/exchange/student/england/japan", you will be able to see what kind of association will support the program. Normally we don't have foreign student temporarily at Japanese high school, so you'd better find some special program that certain association support for.
2 :
Mana is right. You need connections to get into a Japanese school whether it be an exchange program or family members who live here. If you are just visiting, someone may be able to take you to school for a visit every now and then, but to be a part of the classroom full time would be difficult. Private or smaller country schools would mostlikely be a better bet as well since they are smaller and teachers may be able to accomodate you better. Also keep in mind that throwing yourself into a Japanese school at a High school level would be way above your head and you may find it rather frustrating. You may be able to observe the culture and environment of a Japanese High school, but actually learning Japanese enough to effectively communicate or keep up with studies is not going to happen at your age and amount of time you are staying here.
3 :
I agree with the others, by joining a foreign exchange program really does make a differenc. I have seen exchange sites on the internet but I'm afraid I can't think of the name. Trying searching online and you might find some study exchange programs in Japan. It also helps when your school has connections with schools in Japan. I've been to Japan before and went on a school tour, and next year am going back there for a four-month study tour at the Japanese school. But I'm afraid I don't have any contact details, as it goes through school. I'm not even sure they take other schools. We only get taken because we are their sister school. =] sorry I couldn't be of much help though, but definitely try online.
Read more discussion :