Friday, July 1, 2011

What's a good speaking activity that can be done every class to increase fluency


What's a good speaking activity that can be done every class to increase fluency?
Hello, I'm an English teacher at a junior high school in Japan and am looking for good activities to increase my student's fluency. I would like to find something easy that I could do for at least 15-20 minutes per class, every class. One of those fun yet beneficial activities that coerce the kids into learning, since they have no attention span. I'd be more than glad to hear about any other ideas, experiences or advice you have to share. Thank you
Teaching - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I think your students know some English phrases they heard from TV or movies, and also they have imitated those at least once. They would like to speak movie star's lines rather than only read a textbook. For example, "Yes, we can". "I'll be back". How about showing them some famous scenes of the movies they have watched and letting them imitate those?
2 :
Maybe this is an old fashioned way but when I was in the English class in a Junior high, the teacher made small groups, arrange the desks, and no Japanese language allowed for a period of the time. If we don't know the word, we have to gesture so other students can guess what he is trying to say IN ENGLISH. It was really fun for me, since I was good in English, I had some advantage of the game. lol. You can create some kind of reward system too. Anyway, I wish you a good luck!
3 :
im a student studying to become an english teacher in japan and i was wondering if you have any advice or stories or tips that you could share with me? thank you
Read more discussion :