Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Questions about high schools in Japan


Questions about high schools in Japan?
Hi! I have a question about education in Japan. High school is 3 years in Japan, am I correct? [age 15-18]? Does this mean that students in the 1st year calls students in the 2nd/3rd year "senpai" and they call the students from the 1st year Kohai? And does the same go for students from the 2nd year...do they have the same "senpai-Kohai" relation with students from the 3rd year? And can you call girls and boys both "senpai"? Exp: A female student in the 1st year calls a male OR female student in the 2nd or 3rd year "senpai" and they call me "Kohai"? A male student from the 1st year calls another male OR female student from the 2nd or 3rd year "Senpai" and they call them "Kohai"? And what happens after High school? College/University? How do they address each other? How does a student from High school address a student from University/College? Please be as accurate as possible, I'm really slow with these things ^_^' Thanking you in advance! Have a nice day! <3
Primary & Secondary Education - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
To answer your first question - Yes. Does this mean that students in the 1st year calls students in the 2nd/3rd year "senpai" and they call the students from the 1st year Kohai? And does the same go for students from the 2nd year...do they have the same "senpai-Kohai" relation with students from the 3rd year? And can you call girls and boys both "senpai"? Yes, yes, and yes. I don't think it really matters. It isn't just used in high school. So to put it roughly, basically whoever's older, you call them senpai and whoever's younger, you call them kohai. I'm NOT Japanese, and I have not gone to Japan before nor have I ever attended a Japanese high school, so I can't guarentee that my answer is 100% accurate, but it is, I hope, as accurate as it can be to answer your questions. For more information, you can read more about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senpai_and_k%C5%8Dhai http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_honorifics
Read more discussion :