Thursday, September 24, 2009

Homeschooled. can I get a pre-college student visa for Japan


Homeschooled. can I get a pre-college student visa for Japan?
well I have been homeschooled my whole life. I have now Graduated high school (well in a month) and would like to study in a japanese language school in Japan for a year or two. I'm also 16 years old. Will me being homeschooled or my age make any difference on me getting a pre-college visa? I have also heard Japan is not really big on the whole homeschool thing. not sure if this is true or not. is this true?
Studying Abroad - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Hi there. First off, neither your homeschooling nor your age preclude you from getting a student visa for Japan. If you already have your high-school diploma, you should still be able to take advantage of some of the high-school geared exchange programs. AFS is good, and will put you in a Japanese high school and say, "have fun", instead of trying to teach you Japanese in some Foreign Language school. Rotary is another group that does exchanges, though I'm not familiar with their policies. Japan isn't big on homeschooling, mainly because the material on the high-school and college entrance exams is generally too advanced for your parents to teach you. This shouldn't have any effect on your acceptance into a program, however (since your US school and your Japanese school never have any kind of communication with each other), and will make a great conversation piece if you get there. I studied for a year in Nagoya, Japan through AFS, and I will tell you that if you can, you should definitely try to go. But to summarize, your age and homeschooling will have no effect on the visa. How individual exchange program organizations look at your homeschooling is a different matter altogether, but I wouldn't expect a problem if you've graduated high school.
Read more discussion :