Wednesday, September 16, 2009

After Navy A-School, I would like to be stationed in Japan. Can I pick Japan and have a good chance of going


After Navy A-School, I would like to be stationed in Japan. Can I pick Japan and have a good chance of going?
I heard that in A-School you can pick where you want to go first, but most of the time it's really hard to go where you want to go unless it's Japan or Hawaii or San Diego. My recruiters told me that most people who request Japan end up in Japan. Is this true?
Military - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I would think so. My one buddy was stationed in Japan years ago. for the air force though
2 :
Big picture there are about three people stationed in Japan. You likely have the same chance of everyone else that wants one of the best locations in the Navy. As it is probably one of the most requested locations I can't see that your recruiter is correct. It is a little like asking for Hawaii and not recognizing that everyone wants it.
3 :
the simple answer is no, it depends on allot of factors to get to a duty station and it is always a roll of the dice. of course the military tries to send people where they want to go. a happy service member is a productive service member. ask for it an you never know you may get it
4 :
Long story short: You will be stationed where the Navy needs you. If the Navy needs you in Japan and you want to go there, you'll go to Japan. If you want to go to Hawaii and the Navy needs you in Japan, you'll go to Japan. They will try to accommodate you, but at the end of the day the Navy gets to choose where you go. The service can be a harsh mistress like that.
5 :
Yokuska is a major Navy base in Mainland Japan. You should have a pretty good shot at getting there. Good Luck.
6 :
I will tell you back in my early years, it was almost guarantee you were going to Japan sometime in your first contract. It really depends on what your Job is going to be and who needs you. If Japan needs you, then good chance thats where you will go. Then again you have Norfolk the largest of the Naval Bases. I did get my first choice on my initial enlistment. I also went to Japan, and Hawaii. I hope you get your choice. Japan is a wonderful place. I would go back again.
7 :
If the Navy needs your skill there. If you make it, stop by the Kamakura Buddha and say hello for me.
8 :
possibly, depending on rating yes you have a decent chance of ending up in Yokosuka or Sasebo. or even Brrrrrr Misawa. umm Majgross there are 5000 Sailors on the George Washington alone between ship's company and the accomapnying airwing.. and that's NOT counting the rest of 7Th fleet. it is one of the largest Naval bases we have.
Read more discussion :