Sunday, January 24, 2010

How are Japanese teachers different from American teachers


How are Japanese teachers different from American teachers?
I've never been to school in Japan, so I don't know what the teachers are like. Do they tend to be strict or easy going? Oh and how are Japanese schools different from American schools? Did you enjoy school in Japan? ***READ*** how are the students different, then?
Japan - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
The teachers are the same....it is the kids that are different. In most countries the children go to school to learn with the support of the family. When the kids all want to learn it makes school a wonderful experience.
2 :
It's not a matter of just teacher or student. We have to talk about school as a whole if you want to know about it. In Japanese society, school or office, everyone is required to do the same thing with others and do not appreciate "sticking out". One big difference is seen when teachers ask its students to raise their hands in a classroom. In US, many students try to raise their hands, right? But in Japan, many people do not want to raise their hands. So this is the big difference. Also, many Japanese schools have uniforms and strict rules to regulate students' fashion and even hairstyle. Oh, BTW, if you ask me if I enjoyed Japanese schools, my answer is NOT AT ALL.
3 :
Can you generalize American teachers all together? I don't think so. Japanese teachers are the same. Some are very aggressive, strict, intellectual, kind, humoristic, cool, popular, cheerful, active and/or honest. Some are not. Japanese school system itself varies by individual and between private and public either difficult to compare with American ones but no particularly difference from USA except guns and drugs. One thing for sure is that the school lockers is much smaller than American ones. In addition usually pupils use their own school shoes during in the school. School lunch upto Junior High is often prepared one daily set menu for everybody without choice. Oh, biggest different thing left is that almost of all students are Japanese in Japan.
4 :
I see many people eat and drink stuff in my college during the lecture.this is something that does not happen in japan. I have no idea as to why they dont consider that picking up strawberrys and french fries is rude while the teacher is giving you the lecture.
5 :
In Japanese schools, the teachers move from class to class instead of the students.
6 :
Japanese students don't ask teachers questions very much. That is a big difference, I guess. But this is a consequence of having been controlled too much by teachers and parents. I think teachers should encourage students to think, not just to memorize.
7 :
The experience in attending k-12 in Japan is different from American. Expectations in class and the people around you are different. As one poster said "try not to stick out". Is an appropriate description of what the experience is like Japanese schools. If you are overly stupid or smart, extremes of the spectrum means you stick out. You must raise your hand and be able to study quietly in Japan. American schools tend to be more discussion oriented and want their student to be outspoken and ask questions. It's just the style.(I'm more American at heart, so American style suites me best). One thing that is notably bad in Japanese schools is the bullying. There is bullying in America, but not quite to the extent Japanese schools have been known to have. This is not everyone's experience, but it's something you should know about. COLLEGE: is a totally different case. In American schools: "we work hard but we play hard" is the general tone. Of course we have slackers and social hermits, but on a whole there is usually a balance. Our teachers,are generally again...more easy going and discussion based. If you talk to them they might be liable to bend the rules for you(like a late paper). However, the expectation of quality of work is much higher in America I think. This varies from teacher to teacher of course...But on a whole this is what you can expect from a "good" professor. In Japanese schools: It's play time! They've worked really hard throughout k-12, go to juku(afterschool cram school) so that they can get into a good school. Now, they join circles and clubs and DRINK DRINK DRINK. I went to Sophia University, which is a pretty well known school in Japan...it's like a Stanford image equivalent. Of course, I was on the foreigners department, but when i joined circles...it's seem to show that this heavy drinking and playing was a schoolwide consensus. University is not taken as seriously in Japan, grades don't matter...it's just the title that you gain from going to the school. I prefer American Universities, I felt that it was better at teaching me what I needed to learn in my degree. I enjoyed school in Japan from the experience that I gained outside of my academic life, and I still recommend it..if you are considering it. But if you want to work in America, stick with an American degree. Hope I answered your question. Here is a blog post about my overall university experience in Japan. As well as personal recommendations: http://wanderingabc.blogspot.com/2008/08/how-tos-11-attend-universitycollege.html -WanderingABC
Read more discussion :